"I am on a journey... With my work, my explorations, and a few sad stories. I travel with a suitcase full of outrageous blessings. I am on a quest for truth, beauty, and quiet joy. I am an artist, a writer, an explorer."

Wednesday 11 September 2024

Ode to Africa

Saya by Sona Jobarteh


It has been over a year since our trip, but, whatever it was that was ignited within us, is still there. It was a trip that shifted our perspective, that made us realise that magic is always burning bright.

From tracking wildlife at sunrise, at sunset, to snorkelling in the reefs of the Indian Ocean, we witnessed beauty so mesmerising we’d forget to breathe. From having wine, wine and more wine at centuries-old wine estates, to sipping on local rum while enjoying the crisp of the ocean breeze.

We drummed and we danced to rhythms that touched our being; we felt so grounded we couldn’t help but be in the moment. We witnessed kindness, humbleness, authenticity; personalities that genuinely left a mark on us.

What a wake-up call, what a way to hit pause; to see the world differently and to soak up the beauty in the present. As the plane prepared for take-off, on the way back home, I felt tears trickle down my cheeks. I had this bittersweet feeling; a mixture of profound gratitude, but also a certain weight on my chest. I felt like I was leaving a part of me behind.

When you are in Africa you feel primordial, rocked in the cradle of the world.”


Africa, you made our sole soar; we will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment